- The motto of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry is Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus, which means, “Never tickle a sleeping dragon.” Using Google Translate to turn English to Latin, what would be the name and motto of a school you founded? I’d probably found a school for writing, and because I’m a procrastinator, the motto would be “Quare scribe quod non est hodie cras scribam?” Which is “Why write today what you could write tomorrow?”
- What is the motto of a school you attended, and how do you feel about its representing you (or about your representing it)? The only motto I remember is my middle school’s, a Catholic school with the motto “centered in Christ.” I’ve kind of abandoned Catholicism, so…(although, that said, when you look at what Jesus actually taught and the way he conducted himself, I think I represent that well enough, for a flawed human being in 2020)
- From this list of university and college mottos, which will be yours for the coming weekend? I didn’t see one that pertained to sleeping for a really long time. Weird.
- Based strictly on its motto, which country should you be a citizen of? France, with “Liberty, equality, fraternity,” or Germany, which unofficially is “Unity and justice and freedom.”
- Based strictly on its motto, which U.S. state, federal district, or territory should you probably stay away from? Maryland with “Manly deeds, womanly words” because 1) what the fresh sexist hell is that and 2) clearly, I do not have womanly words.
From Friday 5.